When we live with purpose, we are not just existing – we’re actually contributing to the world in some way. We’re giving back, whether it be in a big way or a small way, and living our life rather than just going through the motions.
When we live with purpose, we get more done, we create meaning in our life, and most importantly, we feel happier and more fulfilled.
The issue however, is most people think they have to quit their job and become a full-time volunteer to be living with purpose. But that’s not true! If you can do that, that’s amazing and we think you’re wonderful; however realistically, not many people are able to dedicate 100 per cent of their time to giving back.
But there are ways you can add a little bit of purpose to your life every single day – without quitting your job.
1. Make someone smile. How good does it feel when someone does something nice for you for no reason? Pretty darn good. Make an effort to so something lovely for someone else, no strings attached. It could be buying someone a coffee in the morning, saying hello to a stranger in the elevator or giving a compliment to the person sitting next to you on the bus. Spread those good vibes out into the world.
2. Find a hobby. What do you love? Whether it’s gardening, cooking, drawing or yoga, find an activity you’re passionate about and schedule some time to do it every single day. Treat it like its an appointment. Your day will be so much more fulfilling when you spend a portion of it doing something you love.
3. Get involved in your community. Being part of your community is a great way to add some purpose to your day. If you love sports, join a local sports team. If painting is your thing, join aa art club.
4. Be present. We know this one sounds so cliche, but there is a reason people are always banging on about being present – because it actually works. You can just start with baby steps, like when you’re eating your breakfast, for instance. Stop, put your phone down, and really enjoy how darn delicious that bowl of porridge is.
5. Share a skill. If you know something that most other people don’t, share your expertise. If you’re really good with computers, offer to help your neighbour with their new laptop. If you know about exercise and fitness, hold group workouts sessions for your friends and family. Or if you’re one of those wizards who can reverse parallel park, show someone who doesn’t know how.
Want to become an Indigo volunteer? Apply now.