Where is it?
About the project
A medical NGO consisting of volunteers who provide medical care to refugees and migrants on the island of Samos, Greece.
What will I be doing?
Med’equali needs volunteers in the following areas:
- Doctors, nurses, paramedics and medical students to provide healthcare to the refugees living in the camp. All team members will be involved in medical logistics and administration.
- Arabic, Farsi and French interpreters to make the communication between the patient and medical staff possible. Sorani, Kurmanji, Pashto, Urdu, Somali, Amharic, Tigrinya and other languages are also spoken in the camp.
- Logistics Volunteer – This role includes managing the logistical aspects of the project, such as helping the coordinator to manage the clinic, the warehouse, the financial aspects, transportation, procurement of supplies and volunteer coordination (human resources). Depending on your interests and skills you can help with other aspects, such as photography or writing content for social media.
- Receptionist – This role includes the registration of patients, the scanning of their consultation paper, the coordination of the reception room, managing the appointments and coordinating the referral system of the clinic.
- There will soon be opportunities for midwives to get involved by providing pregnancy follow-up appointments and breastfeeding support.
What impact would I have?
There is only one doctor provided by the Greek government so far for 4000 people living in extremely bad conditions, and there are no other medical NGOs at this date. Therefore the health care provided at the center is sometimes the only possibility for people to be seen by a doctor.
Who would I be working with?
A team of 10-15 international volunteers
10 days, depending on the position
Provided for approx 8€/night, depending of the number of volunteers
- Transport to/from Samos (transport on the island is covered)
- You are required to provide food for yourself