Where is it?
About the project
Supported by Offene Arme e.V, the Chios Eastern Shore Response Team is a locally organised team of international volunteers dedicated to providing support for both refugees and for local people on Chios.
The central task of CESRT is to provide refugees with food and dry clothing – day and night, at the port and all along the coast.
Other projects have emerged over time, including a Parents and Toddler Center, a Language Center and distribution of clothing to refugees beyond the initial care.
What will I be doing?
- Part of an around-the-clock team which responds to boat landings on the island and welcomes the new arrivals. You’ll provide basic nutrition, water, clothes and blankets from their warehouse full of supplies, which requires a lot of organizing and sorting.
- Preparing crafts and games for the children in Vial Camp.
- Helping out in the community garden or attend various clothing distributions.
- Volunteer at the language centre offering English, Greek, French and German classes to refugees living on Chios. Organise workshops and crafts for the students and interact with them in a safe and calm environment.
What impact would I have?
Volunteering with Offene Arme e.V. (CESRT) has a widespread impact. They are the only team attending boat landings on Chios. Welcoming the people on arrival after their difficult and stressful journey and providing basic nutrition, water and clothes with a sense of calmness and sensitivity is very essential. You will fully understand this after having responded to your first landing.
Who would I be working with?
You will be working with people of all ages and backgrounds- members of the community, residents of the Camp, Offene Arme e.V. volunteers and members of partner organizations.
Not provided, we can recommend hotels and rental accommodations in Megas Limnionas, Thymiana or Agia Ermioni.
Right now we ask for a minimum of two weeks to volunteer. This changes in the summertime.
- Travel to and from Chios
- Normal living costs (food, car sharing, spending money).
- Warm lunch is provided every day by a community kitchen.