Where is it?
Brussels or Charles de Gaulle (Paris)
About the project
The Refugee Women’s Centre is committed to supporting women, families and minors in and around Grande Synthe, Dunkirk and Calais. They support the specific needs of women, children and vulnerable people, of all ages and nationalities, who have left their homes and loved ones due to war, conflict and persecution.
What will I be doing?
As a Refugee Women’s Centre volunteer you will be participating in the following activities and more:
- Material distributions on an individual basis including clothing, bedding, camping equipment and hygiene products.
- Redirecting women and family units to the appropriate legal and medical services.
- Providing information about and access to shelter.
- Organising, running and supporting activities for women with a focus on psychosocial support and developing skills (such as arts and crafts, sports, pampering and language classes).
- Closely monitor the needs and concerns of the women and families, this includes supporting women and girls experiencing or having experienced sexual and gender-based violence and responding to their individual needs.
- Human Rights Observations: recording data and testimonies of human rights abuses against refugees in northern France.
- Taking those we support to local shower facilities.
What impact would I have?
Standing in solidarity with female refugees and the wider refugee community. Advocating for and creating longterm change enabling refugees in northern France and beyond to exercise their right to seek safe asylum.
Who would I be working with?
It is an all female team of 9 volunteers and the working languages is English and/or French.
2 months (60 days)
240 euros for the first month (8 euros a night) in the Refugee Women’s Centre house, shared rooms. Refugee Women’s Centre covers accommodation after 1 month of volunteering.
- Travel to northern France