Where is it?
In West Kenya in a region called Ndhiwa – Homa Bay
Kisumu International Airport (3 hour drive to project) or Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport (8 hour drive to project)
About the project
Team Kenya work with local primary schools and the whole community that surrounds them to tackle the barriers that prevent girls from accessing quality education. They do this by working towards three key priorities: Girls Education; girls gain access to and attain a good quality education and have relevant skills and knowledge to fully participate in economic social and cultural life. Economic Sustainability and Food Security; families have improved food security and develop sustainable economic enterprises to support girls. Advocacy for Safe Communities; girls and young women are equal and respected members of society who are safe at home, in school and in their community.
What will I be doing?
There are a few programs to get involved in!
- Sports coaching: You will be developing the quality of the sports coaching, assisting with planning and taking sessions.
- Mentoring / ‘Women into enterprise’: You will be providing the girls with support and guidance in daily life with homework assistance and classes. You could also work within the ‘women into enterprise’ programme to offer guidance and support with their businesses.
- IT training: Running IT sessions with teachers, students, and local community members.
- Qualified teachers: Teacher training.
- Social workers: You will be developing the Girls Support Groups and working with the sports coaching programme to tackle gender-based violence.
- Agricultural experts: Delivering training to local women and help to design and implement plans for the agricultural demonstration site.
- Eco Tourism / Business consulting: You will be working with staff identify new opportunities at our Eco Lodge and improve on existing practices and activities.
What impact would I have?
Depending on what program you will be getting involved in the impact you have will be huge. Creating more engaging sports sessions which will enable a larger reach to more young people. For the “Women into Enterprise” program you will be providing women in the poorest communities with business training to increase their knowledge and income. IT, teaching, agricultural and business training will improve education in these areas as a result will improve people in the communities lives into a sustainable future.
Who would I be working with?
You will be working with the staff of the EcoLodge, Teachers and children at the school and the women of the village.
Ecolodge £20 / day including three meals a day
4 weeks + £15 / day
Minimum 1 week within set dates:
15th October 2019 until 29th October 2019 (approximate dates)
Kenyan VISA $50
Airport pick up 6,000 KES/person (£45)